A Glimpse of Mi Vida...

It started with a missions trip to Camden, where my life and perspective were changed and where this blog began. Life has been a roller coaster filled with its ups and downs and I'm excited for the adventure and discovering what God has in store, even though I really dislike roller coasters... I am a Lady in Waiting...

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Immersed

Greetings Blogosphere!!!

It has been some time since I last posted.
And I have a big updated and announcement for all you readers... whether friends, family, curious Facebook friends or others.

I feel like this announcement will be met with some questions, or maybe lots of logical questions. I believe that this post my bring some doubt or skepticism.

But I am confident... why you ask? Because my faith and foundation is solely rooted in God's word and I have never felt more in line with God's will than I do now.
Wait, what? What's going on?!

Okay... here it goes.
Last year I returned from Haiti, like most mission trips with a sense of sadness. Serving God fully for fourteen days with no internet, not interruptions .. you can't help but feel so in line with God's will. Serving Him with your whole heart and ready and willing to do what was asked. Being back from Haiti, my heart often aches of the kids I met and held in the orphanages.

But life has to go on... and so mine did. Before leaving for Haiti I was blessed with a full time job in Los Angeles working at a church. Those of you who know me really well, this job is the perfect fit. Why didn't I think about working at a church years ago. I began volunteering my time in youth and young adults ministry before leaving and quickly fell back into my roles there. The more I worked at the church and immersed myself in the community there, the more I felt at home. A few months after being back from Haiti, I finally felt that I could call my work church... my home church. I joined membership and poured and invested hours above and beyond in youth ministry.

I think what makes me so passionate about youth is that I can see myself in their shoes... I wish that I had someone in my life to pour into it when I was a kid or a teenager. Currently as an adult I have a great support system, a supportive home church I came from, great best friends, an accountability partner and a Christian mentor and friend. I desire for a child to feel this sense of acceptance and love and grace. I know one day I want to be a mom and so I love getting to nurture and love on my students... to invest in them but also to be a godly example of a woman of God.
In work therapy sessions, I often time refer to these kids and my kids. If you see me talk about my love for these children, you see the joy on my face... you see God's light in how I describe them or talk about them.
I have learned so much over the past year in leadership and in my relationship with God.
I have also learned when God commands we must go. I believe that God can tug at our hearts for change... and it is uncomfortable and scary- but it is what we are called to as believers. We are meant to be disciples.

Over the past two months, I have spent much time in prayer and in counseling with Christian mentors and those who can actively listen to my heart and pray for me as well.
I can't help but feel... rather know... that God is calling me to vocational ministry!

With this directions, I am transitioning out of my position and into a part-time ministry position until I can find something more permanent and something in full-time ministry.
This transition has also caused me to pray about a lot. To trust God fully with finances and change and where ever he would send me...


To my surprise and excitement... I am starting this journey by going back to Haiti to spend two weeks... to begin this journey full immersed in ministry.
I get to revisit with youth I met in Haiti, but will also everyday for two weeks working at a special needs orphanage in Haiti. My heart is so excited to pour out God's love and light.

If you would like to know more about Haiti, you can read my support letter!

I am getting asked... why would you leave your job? What about when you get back?
Your questions are all valid... but I cannot be more confident that God is directing me to Haiti. And that God is leading me into be immersed in community to love and serve with my gifts and talents... where ever that would be... for right now, it's in Haiti. But I am ready and willing to God because my love and trust in God is so strong and I have patiently waited for a few months as I sought council through this process.

The scary thing is that I have 3 weeks to raise $2500. But God is faithful... in the past week I have raised $800. Wow God! I need about $400 more to purchase my plane tickets... And less than a week for that amount to go.

Please be keeping me in your thoughts and prayers...

If you would like to help out financially, you can donate online... or read my letter for more info...
Donate here: http://nwhcm.org/give/travel-payment (Be sure to put my name on the memo line)
And make sure to include my name- Jennifer Elrod in the memo line.

That is all for now... so if you know of any where hiring... let me know.

Thank you all!!! Much love and keep me in your prayers.

Blessings,
Jennifer

No comments: