A Glimpse of Mi Vida...

It started with a missions trip to Camden, where my life and perspective were changed and where this blog began. Life has been a roller coaster filled with its ups and downs and I'm excited for the adventure and discovering what God has in store, even though I really dislike roller coasters... I am a Lady in Waiting...

Monday, July 18, 2011

Pp = Peru

P is for Peru

You have no idea how long I have been awaiting to get to the letter P, I've been saving so much to talk about too. I am sure you have been waiting for me to get to Peru as long as it has taken me to get here.

My journey for Peru began a few years ago...
In 2007, I went on a mission trip within the United States. Now you might what, what are you talking about? Missionaries don't work within the United States, or there is so much going on in the world. Well, if you didn't know Camden, New Jersey is the poorest city in the United States and the fifth most dangerous. It was my sophomore year of college and a seed was planted for service. A seed that had been planted as a child, I grew up serving in my home Lutheran church. But in 2007, I took a huge leap and went to Camden for the summer with several university students to serve and tithe our whole summer. It was a life-changing experience. I went into having expectations that I would change the people and save lives and impact the children there. But really they taught me everything... they taught me patience and grace when I had to teach a bible class filled with eighth grades who couldn't sit still for the twenty minute lesson and one of which called me a bitch as they were kicked out of my class for misbehaving. I trusted and followed God, he not only provided the money for me to go but I raised above and beyond to allow me to see the needs of the city and summer camps and to help financially meet them. I did this for three summers. I fell in love with Camden and the people. I love seeing my children grow from being shorter than me to now towering over me and becoming leaders in the ministry. I thought my heart would always be for Camden.

Last year, I didn't even think twice about applying for a mission trip with my church... the answer was no. I wanted to go to Camden. But God did place it on my heart to support friends who were going to trips. I wasn't working and I managed to support at least three friends mainly in some financial way be saving, some where grateful and sincere in my sacrifice and some were not. I ended up going to Camden for a few short days while I was passing through the East Coast for a wedding. Even for those few days, I loved being with those kids and in the city. The time was not nearly long enough, but a nice thing is that I can keep up with them via Facebook. Oh, technology.

Well, this year as the time approached to apply for a mission trip I was more involved in college ministries and was considered a leader in many areas of the church. After being asked to consider applying by some friends and pastors, I began praying. Knowing that if I went, my family would not be supportive, I still applied and prayed to God that if I was accepted that He would provide a direction and guidance throughout the entire process. I prayed for faithfulness and I prayed to remember that if I was meant to go that I would find a way in going despite my job and finances and family. I would work my tail off in fundraisers, volunteer, and pick up extra nanny shifts and makes small contributions to a fund the trip. I needed to be accepted first, however.

I was accepted to may dismay. As I argued with God in prayer and requests of what team I wanted to be on, I realized there was an attachment to the email... saying what team for me to be on. It was the one I pleaded for. PERU. The team got together and we began working on fundraising, from flocking to support letters to car washes. I hustled for myself and the team and I made it... I did it. But honestly, I didn't do it. He did it, God provided it all, like He said He would. He desired for me to go to Peru to be transformed, to be shaken and stirred up, to be inspired and to gain new direction.

Well, as I finish this letter P it's not quite done...

I have just returned from Peru a week ago and I am sure I will not continue to stick to the alaphabet blogging because I want to blog about Peru and the things that happen there... but I do want to complete my alaphabet... so we'll see if I can creatively pull it off or I'll press the pause button...

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Jackie said...

You had such a positive attitude getting TO Peru, that I am certain you were a valuable asset to the team. You have a gentle, but playful attitude. Love you!