A Glimpse of Mi Vida...

It started with a missions trip to Camden, where my life and perspective were changed and where this blog began. Life has been a roller coaster filled with its ups and downs and I'm excited for the adventure and discovering what God has in store, even though I really dislike roller coasters... I am a Lady in Waiting...

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Man with A Sign

There we stood outside the stadium of this Christian event and there was a man in "prision" clothes holding a Bible and with a backdrop of a huge Bible as he preached. Typically at conferences and events for Christians, you have someone who stands outside the theater and preaches of something hurtful or preaches out of anger or hurt.  I would expect to see this man outside of our a non-Christian venue yet here he was surrounded by Christians and non-Christians preaching the Word.

He was loud, but he spoke truth. He spoke of God's love as he shouted from the top of his lungs, he talked about evangelizing and the importance of speaking for God's love and truth. He talked about the neglect of Christians of being too scared to preach or share the word. He told a story of a preacher who looked down on him because he stood on street corners preaching the word and that the preacher refused  to preach outside the walls of the church.

Typically when I used to see said people at a venue, I would be annoyed because what kind of example where they setting for non-believers of this is how we are: abrassive and loud and condemning and judgmental. This man touched my heart however, he was doing what the gospel said.

"He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned". - Mark 16:15-16

He was out preaching and making the good news known. He wasn't condemning, but he wasn't what you would expect to see outside of the Harvest Crusades. (Harvest Crusades events are designed to be opportunities for Christians to invite family members, coworkers, friends, and acquaintances to hear the life-changing message of the gospel in an environment that is entertaining, yet nonthreatening).

I think the part that got me most was people's reactions to him. One member of our party was so annoyed and embarrassed and began making comments, they are a new believer. Another wanted to engage the man in conversation and hear is story and why he was here, but our line we were waiting in kept moving. I think of the one who was embarrassed and even judgmental of this man. I told them that their comments were no necessary and to not judge and they said that they were entitled to their opinion. I think we are all entitled to our opinion, but does our opinion act out of truth and genuine love or does it act out of judgment and condemnation. Their spiritual maturity showed me that they are still learning.


We are called to be uncomfortable. Our mission fields aren't just in Peru or Africa or Haiti, they are within our walls, surroundings, backyards, at the coffee shop, or at work. If we are scared to preach of His love and goodness what is the point? It does not mean anything if we speak of a loving God and speak of desiring to follow His example but we only pick and choose the characteristics that are convenient for our lifestyle.


"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." - 1 Peter 3:15

"In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction." - 2 Timothy 4:1-2


Are we prepared to give an answer, at all times and in all places? Are we prepared at all times?



"What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roof tops." -Matthew 10: 27.

If we don’t proclaim our values then other voices will shape our society. That’s a dangerous position to take. Let us prepare to shout out His name from the Rooftops! How can we reach the world and travel to the ends of the earth, if we aren't preaching His name outside stadiums, in coffee shops, or at work. Let us not condemn those who love God but take a step back and look and love others with genuine love.


"Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good." -Romans 12:9

"Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth." -1 John 3:18  

I leave you with this song from Jesus Culture, called Rooftops.



Here I am before you
Falling in love and seeking your truth
Knowing that your perfect grace
Has brought me to this place
Because of you I freely live
My life to you, oh God, I give

So I stand before You God
I lift my voice because you set me free

So I shout out your name from the rooftops I proclaim
That I am Yours, I am yours

All the good You've done for me
I lift up my hand up hand for all to see

You're the only one
Who brings me to my knees
To share this love across the earth
The beauty of Your Holy Word

So I stand before You God
I lift my voice because you set me free

So I shout out your name from the rooftops I proclaim
That I am Yours, I am Yours
All that I am I place into Your loving hands
And I am Yours, I am Yours

Here I am, I stand with arms wide open
To the one, the Son, the everlasting God (2x) 


3 comments:

Shanda said...

You are right: we have to be bold and share the gospel on our own door steps and not wait to be sent overseas. He who is faithful with little is given much.

Unknown said...

Please for Christ sake help this poor boy from Haiti.

Irene said...

You're right, Jenn, we should not judge people who are preaching God's word the best way they know how. We should also look inside our hearts first before we judge other people. :-)