A Glimpse of Mi Vida...

It started with a missions trip to Camden, where my life and perspective were changed and where this blog began. Life has been a roller coaster filled with its ups and downs and I'm excited for the adventure and discovering what God has in store, even though I really dislike roller coasters... I am a Lady in Waiting...

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Ii = Independence

I is for Independence

I am going to toot my own horn with this because I believe I am extremely independent given my circumstances and income.


I grew up in middle class family and my parents worked very hard for everything we have, even though it wasn’t much compared to my classmates and friends. But I now know that everything was for a purpose and all of their hard work and mine was teach me, stretch me, and help me to grow. Since I was 16 years old, I have been working to pay for everything I have to help my parents out. I paid for gas and dances, and even food. I felt bad when asking for money from my parents, if I ever did. In college, I struggled with those who had everything. Those who were so blessed financially that they didn’t have to work or didn’t have to struggle financially. It took me a very long time to realize that I am blessed financially. I am blessed in that I have learned about hard work, I have learned about budgeting, I do have an income, and I have learned that we are all blessed in different ways. I am blessed in understanding the importance of budgeting and hard work. Currently my job does not pay well, quite awful in fact but because of everything I have learned, I know how to budget. I make $12 an hour and I have a Masters degree, which is very saddening to me because I should be making at least double of that. To pay for that Masters, it cost me $400 a month (a week’s pay check). I also have $130 in car insurance and phone bills, $275 in car payments, about $200 in loan payments, plus I set aside a little each month for Peru, as well as I have budgeted $160 in gas money. Well, gas money has been blowing my budget and I have an “allowance” of $100 for food, clothing, and other expenses. Let’s just say, it makes me want to cry and luckily enough I have built up a cushion for emergency and so that I can live with a little adventure. By adventure I mean that occasional cup of coffee or lunch out with friends…

While financially, I do what I can afford while still living at home. This independence has also created dependence. Dependence on God. As I look for new jobs and opportunities, I depend on God providing. I pray for diligence and patience in searching and waiting. While in many ways I am an independent and strong Christian woman… at the end of the day I am a daughter and princess of God, my Creator. I must rely on Him and He will provide for me to become independent in life, as long as I am always and forever dependent on HIM who provides.


Romans 8:35.37
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? ....No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.

Hebrews 13:5
Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."

James 4:10
Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

No comments: