A Glimpse of Mi Vida...

It started with a missions trip to Camden, where my life and perspective were changed and where this blog began. Life has been a roller coaster filled with its ups and downs and I'm excited for the adventure and discovering what God has in store, even though I really dislike roller coasters... I am a Lady in Waiting...

Saturday, September 28, 2013

ABBA

September 28, 2013

Last night I came across an article from Kirk Cameron’s website that talked about fatherhood and what it meant to have a Holy and loving Father in Heaven.


He talks about, “It starts young when a little girl’s heart longs for Daddy. Not only do girls need physical protection from their fathers but also emotional and spiritual safeguards throughout their life.”
He discusses 8 non-negotiables for father to instill rich love and faith into their daughters for the long haul. It made me sad to read those because my father did not do a majority of them, and if he did, he did them for an extremely short amount of time.

My dad disciplined consistency in rules with me, which made me a very strong woman and it caused me to be very responsible and diligent in all that I do. However there wasn’t consistency measure in the rules and expectations for me as there was for my brother.

When I was younger, I lived with my dad and loved our daddy-daughter dates. We would make pizza together every Friday night and I thought it was the best pizza in the world. He also made the best spaghetti. We went on road trips together and camping. Soon after being a teen, that all ended and any time I tried to schedule time with him it was always forgotten about or other things came up. Now there seems to be this wedge that I’ve defensively put up to guard and protect myself from being hurt. I had spent a year in therapy slowing breaking down the emotional barriers I have built because of my relationship with my parents.

Then this morning I read Romans 8:15 which states: “For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by Him we cry, Abba Father.”

While my parents may have had the best of intentions, there has been a lot of hurt and damage along the way. I am thankful for a Heavenly Father who loves to call me His Child. Who longs to spend time with me and loves me and offers grace no matter what I have done.


My prayer is a shout of thanks to God. Thank you Lord, with heartfelt gratitude and emotion for the ways I speak of your name, Abba Father, for all you have done. Your arms are always open and never to short to embrace me. I am thankful for a loving Father who provided love and strength for when my earthly father could not.

No comments: