A Glimpse of Mi Vida...

It started with a missions trip to Camden, where my life and perspective were changed and where this blog began. Life has been a roller coaster filled with its ups and downs and I'm excited for the adventure and discovering what God has in store, even though I really dislike roller coasters... I am a Lady in Waiting...

Monday, September 23, 2013

Compassion

Compassion

September 18, 2013

To have compassion and empathy is something that I am constantly learning about- especially within the mission field.
This morning in my devotionals I read about compassion and within thirty minutes of reading about it, I experienced what is it so have compassion and empathy.

After breakfast we got ready and dressed for the funeral for Rachel, not knowing when it would start. I sat in the staff lounge doing my devotional and checking emails when they told me it was time to head over to the church.

We headed over. I didn’t understand any of the service. It was all in Creole. It was heart-wrenching to see this little casket on a table. To know there she was, laid to rest. She was now with Jesus for eternity.

I consider myself to be a pretty emotional person- if one person starts crying then I’ve lost it. I build connections and have a deep sense of love and admiration for those I encounter. With death however, I find myself continually at peace because I know of God’s goodness and how He bring healing and restoration and peace to those who have joined Him.

I didn't think I’d be emotional until the mamas began to wail. They screamed and cried out loudly. My eyes were closed as this happen and emotion swept over me. You felt their sadness and their pleas. It was heavy- the weight of their cries was so overwhelming.

I truly began to weep as they sang “It Is Well With My Soul” in broken English and then in Creole. It was beautiful and you felt a sense of peace.

We walked back to the church and helped carry some of the children from the Miriam Center who attended. Then it was like an emotional wave of tears began to flow within the bird cage. Minushe began to cry and wail hysterically. We sat her in her chair and I began holding her hand and rubbing her shoulder. Then Roselore and John began to cry. We quickly moved them all inside so that the orphans would be staring or making fun of them. Joshua began crying and then Amber and myself as we were trying to comfort and console them. You felt this pressure on your heart of their heartache and sorrow. Tears began to flow steadily as I was trying to comfort Kem and Minushe.

I think what made it difficult is that I have such a love for Minushe because my friend sponsors her and we've been to Haiti twice to be with Minushe. I felt like there was nothing I could do.

Magdala (who oversees all of the programs here at the mission) came over and whispered something to the girls and boys and they slowly began to stop and then their normal smiles began to emerge.

God definitely taught me that his compassion has no end.

Resting in Him today allowed me to experience His love and compassion. His compassion overwhelms me and draws me closer.

I learned today yet again that God’s plan is never destruction- only restoration.

“His compassions never fail. They are new every moment, great is your faithfulness.” –Lamentations 3:22-23.



No comments: