A Glimpse of Mi Vida...

It started with a missions trip to Camden, where my life and perspective were changed and where this blog began. Life has been a roller coaster filled with its ups and downs and I'm excited for the adventure and discovering what God has in store, even though I really dislike roller coasters... I am a Lady in Waiting...

Monday, July 28, 2008

7/16/08... Wednesday... at Camp Saved today...

Wednesday, July 16th, 2007

Today I spent the day with Camp Saved at their new camp location. Last year camp was located off of Broadway and Berkeley, whereas this year the new site is located literally up the block from the downtown intern house. I spent the morning before camp and during breakfast with my Moochie. Moochie said she didn’t remember me and then I showed her a picture of us from last summer and she said that she kind of remembered me and hanging out last summer. After a fun and gross opening program (they did a fear factor shake) I ended up hanging out in the 1st/2nd grade class for the day.

There is this little kid Thomas who I remember from last summer and he remembered me, a little. He is so adorable. He is like a little man, he’s going into the second grade but he looks just like a man, but as big (or rather small) as a 2nd grader. Haha. I enjoyed hanging out with and spending the day with Thomas, although he was a little difficult and kept “fighting” or being disruptive in class and didn’t want to sit down or stay still in most of his classes.

The cutest moment was when we were in art class and they were making like tambourine noise makers out of two paper plates stapled together with beans in the center. Thomas has colored one of the paper plates with a picture of his mom and was ready to assemble his noise maker and I told him he should color the other paper plate and he put his tiny hand on my arm and looked up at me (in that touch and look you could see his innocence and feel his love) and asked me what he should draw and I told him the sky. He began to draw the sky and put whatever I suggested into his picture. He finished and we assembled his noise marker, put the beans in and stapled it. We didn’t put enough staples the first time and several beans fell out and he began to collect them. He told me that he and his mom loved to eat beans and so he’d collect some to bring home for dinner and that he wanted to plant some in his backyard. There was one point that he wanted to get a whole handful from the bag and his teacher told him that he could collect any that he could find on the table or the floor, but he couldn’t have anymore than that. It was so cute watching him searching the table and floor for more beans and then trying to hold his 20 or so beans in his little hand and counting them and desire to bring more home to his mother. At one point he gave me his noise maker and I was so happy and blessed, but then he took it back and said it was for his mom and did this about two more times. Then as he looked for more bean and played with his new art project, I sat in his seat and he looked up and me and gave me a little attitude and said, “You’re in my seat.” And I said so back. And then he went and sat on my lap and we hung out for the remainder of class and played with my camera just before class ended. After art class we went to recreation and the kids played dodgeball. At first he didn’t want to play and sat next to me in the shade leaning against me with his arm on my leg and then he would run out and play and would return to me after he got out. We then went back inside after class was over the kids had lunch.





After camp I returned back to UP and I went and hung out with Sean and his basketball team and stayed and watched their practice. Sarah and I during their practice went to the corner store and bought some ice for their water jugs for the practice because it was so hot out and I bought something to drink and a patello (a meat empanada) to eat. Afterwards Sean and I did walk homes and then we just relaxed until choir practice. Actually our relaxing consisted of spending two hours making the boys basketball tshirts on our “day off”. Haha. We rocked them though and the shirt look great.

Choir practice was good and entertaining as always and we practiced “Taste and See” for our performance for Sunday at the new Urban Promise. The sopranos (me, Courtney, and Me-Linh) had a tough time getting our note because it is so high, but Cleveland eventually helped us out. Courtney and I tried not to laugh during practice because Garrett kept dancing and being funny outside our practice room.

Tomorrow I’m spending time at Camp Spirit…

No comments: