A Glimpse of Mi Vida...

It started with a missions trip to Camden, where my life and perspective were changed and where this blog began. Life has been a roller coaster filled with its ups and downs and I'm excited for the adventure and discovering what God has in store, even though I really dislike roller coasters... I am a Lady in Waiting...

Monday, July 28, 2008

Blessings Poured Out TODAY... 7/19/08

Saturday, July 19th, 2008

It’s our “DAY OFF”!

About 15 of the interns went on the Saturday trip to the beach and then some stayed at their intern houses. At about 10am eight of us went to the Loews Theater and saw the “Dark Knight”. I was so BA, pardon my French. It was really good and there was so much to discuss about it because so much went on in the movie and there was a lot to talk about it in regards to biblical reference as well.

Afterward, Mary and I prepared some leftovers for lunch and then Sean, me, and Mary had Bob drop us off in Philly. Sean had some friends who were going to be in Philly for the day and so we didn’t want to roast out in the sun all day at the beach and I had been wanting to go to Philly at least one day during my visit and Mary was up for hanging out we all wondered down Market Street. We went and saw the Liberty Bell and then we went and hung out in the park next to Independence Hall for about two hours and read and listened to music off of Sean’s Ipod. Also we watched a woman feed the birds (Mary Poppin’s anyone? Or Home Alone?!).

We then met up with Sean’s friend and Mary bought us all smoothies and we sat and talked in the park for about 45 minutes and then Sean’s friends left and we headed back to Urban Promise.

I love spending time with Sean and Mary. They have truly blessed my life.
---
As Christians and followers of Christ we are called to serve on another and help those in need so as we were walking down Market Street, we stopped to talk to this parapalegic man sitting on the sidewalk with his two canes. Mary gave Orlando a banana and we just talked to him about what we were doing in Philly and about LA and we just listened to his story. While there I found a city paper and the headline was, “Who will pray for Camden?” As we stood there talking to this nice man, I just thought, I will pray for Camden. Sean and Mary will pray for Camden. The interns will pray for Camden and my church will pray for Camden. We as Christian and followers of Christ must pray for Camden because we are called to serve each other, we are called to serve our neighbors whether they are close or far from us. While we were talking to Orlando this man behind us called Sean and I over and so we walked over and met this man named Eddie. Eddie offered us some money thinking that we were missionaries and were out wandering and serving the city. Which made me think, no matter where we go, aren’t we serving if we are showing God’s love and giving a listening ear to a stranger. Eddie told us how God has blessed his life although he’s struggled, and how he has learned to share what riches he does have with others and to spread the love. In that moment I was just like wow, how great is God that he would have someone with less things than I (not to say that someone "lesser" would serve me, but that someone who has really struggled and been homeless would still offer up what little he has to a stranger because they were in need... like WOW!) be someone that would speak into my life. God surprises you and teaches and shows you things when you least expect it and when you lend a listening ear. We went back and continued talking with Mary and Orlando and then Eddie came over and offered Orlando some fruit. True giving and love in that moment. True sacrifice and truly all done through God's love.

Just... WOW.

~~~
On the city bus back “home”, we met a woman (who we never got her name) and we began talking to her about how we were headed back to Camden and she told us about herself and about how her fiancé was killed on the streets and how she had just recently had everything she owned stolen (she is homeless) including her Bible that she loved. She talked about God and about how to protect yourself on the streets. When she said she no longer had a Bible, I wished I had had my Bible with me to give to her. As much as my Bible meant to me, if I would have had it the idea that it could serve someone like it had served me brought me to a point I have never experienced. To give something that I treasure to another person because maybe they needed it more that I ever would and just the idea of giving up of something to someone else just because, without any questions asked. As the woman got ready to exit the train, I said a silent prayer and Mary gave her, her little Bible. After she got off the train the three of us talked about how we all wanted to give our Bible to this woman because she was so sweet and caring and how we wanted her to have God’s word with her always.

Our day in Philly was just amazing, I learned and experienced so much in those few hours we spent there.

No comments: